Saturday, December 7, 2013

The show must go on...

Holy wow. Not the day I thought I would have. 

I woke up to go to Frozen in the morning (its awesome. See it. See it right now). Got back, got ready for opening night, and headed to the theatre. When I got there ran into our Tech Director who told me "You are about to have a busy night." 

Well that was nerve-wracking to say the least. And for good reason. He then informed me that 1. Our spot op broke his arm snowboarding or skiing today and could no longer work for us. (awesome...) Then he said, but thats not that big of an issue (what do you mean thats not that big of an issue... of course its a big issue!) because 2. The person who plays Bill Sykes (one of our leads) for some reason can't be here tonight. (WHAT?! HOW THE HELL DO YOU MISS OPENING NIGHT?! It could be a number of things, family emergency, bad car accident, etc, we don't know...) So. That was fun to hear the second I walked in the door. Apparently they had been working with an unsuspecting cast member to train him into the role (in about 2 hours) for a while so that was being taken care of and we had a replacement spot op on the way. I spent my pre show figuring out what our understudy needed from me, who would take his scene shifts, informing the cast, etc. It was a hectic night. 

By some miracle, the understudy got all songs and lines and blocking memorized and miraculously played three different parts. I don't know how it happened. But it did. And the show went better than any of us could have expected.

Here we all are enjoying a well deserved post-show drink.


No comments:

Post a Comment