Tuesday, August 6, 2013

National Night Out

I spent my National Night Out not with my neighbors but instead with my good friend C3Peeps0 before she moves to LA in a few weeks. We decided to go to Old Chicago like old times and eat a lot of food that isn't good for us but tastes delicious. Plus we made it there during happy hour so that was a nice surprise since I didn't think they even had one (clearly I haven't been to an OC since I've turned 21). We caught up on things that happened in the past month or so (since we last saw each other) and discussed life plans in the upcoming months. It was a good time.


Then we saw it was getting dark out so we checked the radar and decided to leave before the storm hit so we could make it home before things got ugly. Unfortunately, that plan backfired. About 5 minutes into my drive, while I was sitting at a stop light waiting to get on the highway, outta nowhere, hail. So much hail. Almost golf ball sized. Then sheets of rain so heavy I could hardly see the color of the stoplight. The car next to me started driving so I followed them. We drove very slowly to the overpass and parked under the bridge for about 7 minutes. It was packed. Anyone near the bridge was under the bridge. I was sitting at an angle to maximize bridge space. It was a good bonding experience for all of us under there. Several people got out of there cars to assess the damage done to their roofs and hoods. After a few minutes it started to lighten up so cars started to clear out and get back on the road. It rained a few more minutes and the closer I got to my house the worse the damage got. There were big branches down, leaves and sticks all over. And then I realized I had a crack in my windshield. A CRACK. I fumed the rest of the way home. I was so mad. The rest of the car is covered in hail damage, its practically polk-a-dotted. Apparently we lost power and got 1.5 inches of rain. And all of this happened in a matter of 10 minutes. It was quite the storm cell.

Here are me and my new friends chillin under the bridge. This was before it got even more crowded.


No comments:

Post a Comment